Skip to Content

Final Reflections from Creative Computing 2012

« Creative Computing 2012
No replies
Michelle Choi

These are reflections share by participants during the final discussion at Creative Computing 2012.

Now, I think of creative computing as... 

• Creative computing is where design-based learning meets computational thinking and they DANCE!
  • Creative computing has evolved into a new way of looking at the world and using technology to express yourself AND solve problems.
  • I originally thought Scratch was a tool for teaching computing. I now think it is a way to teach almost anything.
  • My thoughts on creative computing have really changed. This is the first time I've been shown a path to a philosophy
  • as second nature and extremely relevant
  • simple or complex, multi-dimensional, inspiring, engaging, allows "winning", doable
  • Scratch is very powerful and can engage ALL age levels, very good learning experience
  • My idea of computational computing includes many more concepts and ingredients
  • The workshop created a very safe, collaborative environment where I became more creative
  • Far more complex. Scratch shows few limits and can be used to create so many examples and things.
  • Creative computing involves synthesizing various media to communicate ideas.
  • less intimidated
  • I never realized that serious computing skills could be introduced in such a fun, creative way. Scratch is a great tool to hook young students, especially female, into further studies in computer science.
  • using computers intelligently in a manner that is healthy and rewarding
  • My perspective has been widened.
  • I knew that before but no one else does at my school, so I need to expand their view.
  • works in progress that are shared, repeat forever: imagine, create, play, share, reflect
  • I designed, created, personalized, collaborated, and reflected (a lot!).
  • freedom, collaboration, problem solving
  • involving everyone, not just us computer instructors
  • awesome! inclusive! exciting!
  • I think about creative computing in the same way I think about making art or other projects. I am very process-oriented but I can be frustrated. Working in "small chunks" can help me keep things simple.
  • It's for everyone regardless of ability, age, etc!
  • organizational thinking
  • personalization
  • The Media Lab was an eye opener! Wow wow wow (jealous)
  • learning different approaches
  • accessible, concrete, fun, challenging, creative expression, collaborative, experiment
When I return to my students, I plan to...
  • I've already made plans to present to my local ed tech group. I've also contacted my super about presenting, and I'm still here
  • use different exercises
  • use Scratch in the computer science classroom and Scratch in a meditation I will give and Scratch in the math department
  • foster more creativity: offer more choice with projects
  • find more ways to integrate computers and Scratch into existing curriculum
  • Scratch has a much wider use than I first thought so I need to get other teachers involved and excited
  • get them creating and producing with Scratch
  • use Scratch with my students, along with the other "stuff" in the class
  • revise lessons, chunk learning, break parts into manageable activities
  • introduce the students to the connection between Scratch and robotics
  • Design-based learning is a great new approach for my room. Reflect is so important!
  • create a project notebook
  • I am excited to take Scratch back to my school and use with my middle school students. The resources will help guide me.
  • use the Scratch cards as "mini-lessons" within the sixth grade choice-based program
  • I look forward to seeing how my kinds' input will change the way I approach things.
  • I will load Scratch and start using it in my fourth grade class.
  • I plan to incorporate the creative design model into my classroom.
  • I'm bringing back new teaching methods for my work with teachers as well as with students.
  • I plan to use Scratch in the beginning of the CS classes to aid in describing OOP.
  • Scratch Scratch Scratch!
  • need to get as many students as are interested to start on Scratch and share EVERYTHING!!
  • I will give my students more "play" time.
  • I'm excited about how this can be used in art. I can't wait to take this back.
  • increase flexibility and freedom
  • introduce game design into curriculum
  • attend Scratch Day, interact with educators on ScratchEd, show teachers and students that they can create games that accommodate learners' needs
  • create bulletin boards for students to post: goals, reflections, challenges/questions (like we did in the Media Lab)