Skip to Content

Scratch at the Ultimate Block Party in NYC this Sunday (October 3, 2010)

« Events
3 replies [Last post]
Cameron Fadjo

Good Evening:

If you are a young Scratcher and live near NYC, then you will want to come out to the Ultimate Block Party this Sunday, a day devoted to creativity and play in learning.  I am a researcher at Columbia's Teachers College and I, along with 15 other gracious volunteers, will be spending our day showing the rest of the world (at least the attendees of the Ultimate Block Party) how exciting, innovative, and fun playing with Scratch can be for everyone.

We will be in Central Park off of 72nd Street (more towards the East Side) on Sunday, October 3rd from 11 am to 5 pm.  

Spread the word and we look forward to seeing you at the Block Party.

Visit UBP online at http://www.ultimateblockparty.com

I am a part of the Institute for Learning Technologies at Teachers College, Columbia University.  http://www.ilt.columbia.edu

_Cameron Fadjo 

Replies
Karen Brennan

What a cool event! How did it go?

Cameron Fadjo

The event was excellent.  Over 3,000 young children came to our area at the Ultimate Block Party on Sunday, October 3rd.  We had twenty outstanding volunteers from Columbia who provided basic instruction on Scratch.  Each volunteer was encouraged to show every child that came to her or his computer how to do some simple things in Scratch, then supported that child as they explored and created their projects.

The Ultimate Block Party will be traveling to other cities as well.  Boston, I believe, has already begun establishing their event.  Maybe the Media Lab will host a section at the UBP?  I'll be available that weekend if you want some help ;).

Our volunteers have offered to create a full write up of the event and post it on ScratchEd for all to see.

Karen Brennan

> Our volunteers have offered to create a full write up of the event and post it on ScratchEd for all to see.

That's awesome. I can't wait to read the description!

Thanks so much for the update...
K