Skip to Content

Scratch Teacher Accounts now Available

« News and Announcements
61 replies [Last post]
Replies
Christan Balch
Hi Ann! Thanks for the post. Scratch Teacher Accounts are new, and our team is still working out the kinks - thanks to comments from people like yourself!

Regarding your question about studios, all Student Accounts created within a class will automatically be added as curators for any studios created in that class. We have noticed a 10-15 minute delay in seeing these Student Accounts appear in the “curator” section of the class; perhaps this is what happened during your test?

When we built Student Accounts, we made the decision to align these accounts with regular Scratcher accounts in many ways, including their relationship to the greater community. This was because we have seen time and again the importance of the community in supporting and encouraging Scratchers to keep coding. That said, we also understand your concerns about sharing publicly on Scratch. Keep in mind that you can always choose to use the offline version of Scratch instead, which removes the online community entirely from the equation.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts. Hopefully I have provided a bit of insight into how these accounts work, and why we built them that way. We welcome any other feedback you may have.

Mr. Stone
Setting up the student accounts for my classrooms.  I just accidently added a group of students with a .csv upload to the wrong classroom.  There appears to be no way to manually move them across to their correct classroom and I am unable to delete their accounts.

Any suggestions to get the moved into their correct classroom and out of the "test" classroom?  I'm probably just going to rename test to Grade 8 but for my own information is there a way to move a student or do they have the option to Leave a classroom and then join another?

Fred Montanaro
New ot Scratch and ScratchEd. 
Have my class set up, kids are coding so life is good.
HOWEVER, is there a way for me to see their work easily?  Is this what the studio function is for?  Am I missing a help file or video on this topic.  I watched the intro video which was helpful, but when he created the sample "Studio" he really didn't explain its function.
I appologize if I have missed this post or instruction.
Thank you!

Tracey Yuen
I've been trying to test adding in a student account from the email link, but any username I try using has already been taken according to the error message that gets generated.

The only thing that's worked is the CSV import. 

I'm also unclear about the accessibility of the Student account: If I close a class, does the Student account that is created become unusable to the student? Is the workflow to get them to create a personal scratch account and transfer the work done from the teacher created Student account, to their new personal account? 

Karen Richards
So excited about teacher accounts!  Yay!  I have a quick question...once I've set up each class, and added my students, how do they log in?  Do they sign in with my teacher username and password?  

Also, I set up a test student to try to figure this out myself...how can I delete that test student?  Thank you!

Christan Balch
Hi Karen. Good questions! The password for student accounts depends on how you created their accounts. Did you use a CSV, email link, or create the accounts one at a time?

If you used a CSV then you predetermined their password when you created the accounts.
If you used the email link, then students create their own password by following the link.
If you created the accounts one by one, then the password is your Teacher Account username (they will be prompted to change this after logging in for the first time).

In order to delete the test account, you will need to sign into that account and delete it through the Account Settings menu.

We have created a Teacher Account FAQ page as well as a video about Teacher Accounts that I think might be helpful in answering some of your questions :)

I hope this helps!
Yu-Hsien Fang

Hi Christan,

I would lik to provide the Traditional Chinese subtitle for the " video about Teacher Accounts".
Youtube can antomatically gernerate a English .srt file
May I have the English .srt file so that I can do the transaltion? 

YH.

Karen Richards
Perfect, thank you so much!  
Kate Arsenault
Thank you, thank, you, THANK YOU!
bradley quentin
So excited about the teacher accounts! Is there a limit to the number of students that can be assigned to a class? I noticed that the csv file upload has a limit of 50.

Thank you Scratch Team! You are all heroes!
Christan Balch
Hi Bradley! Nope, there is no limit to the number of students that can be assigned to a class. :)