Skip to Content

Questions and Suggestions for the Scratch 2.0 Alpha

« Scratch 2.0
62 replies [Last post]
Replies
Natalie Rusk

There were some bugs introduced that were causing issues you described last week. The alpha is still being revised each day. For the latest version, hold Shift + click the Reload button on your browser. 

Thanks for reporting! 

Andrew Murphy

The login worked fine, thank you!

I was pleased to see that the projects I created during some of the sessions at the Scratch@MIT conference were still there! It seems such a long time ago now, but looking at the projects helped remind me about the new features. (As well as bringing back great memories!)

Now, where's that webcam...?

Natalie Rusk

Thanks Andy. 

Do you have a webcam and is it working with 2.0? 

Here's a gallery with example webcam projects:

http://alpha.scratch.mit.edu/galleries/180443/

Andrew Murphy

Yep the webcam worked fine - both the built in one on the laptop and also a separate webcam attached via USB to my desktop.

Jean-Jacques Valliet
Hi Karen Nice to read some words of you ! A first comment : about the translation ins french. The german - deutsch translation is ready : OK ! Scratch is only available and implented with our browser. OK! We can't download the software , today ! Will be the new Scratch 2.0 only available on the web ? Then it will be impossible to modify the fr.po file . But you know there are some difficulties with the actual french translation. In the fr.po file there are mistakes. On the french forum we had lots of comments and proposals to modify this file. I have collected all the proposals ; Christophe help me to make a other downloadable file ( Mac Os and Windows ) for France. [url]http://scratchfr.free.fr[/url] Is it possible today to make a french translation ? How is it possible to do it ? Sincerely
Natalie Rusk

The translation code is not quite ready so the translations up there are just placeholders. The translation team will be ready soon to contact translators --thanks for offering!

A downloadable version of 2.0 is definitely in the works. 

Stephen Thomas

I see the site using Flash so does that mean this will not work on Android or iPhone/iPad?

Natalie Rusk

This version does depend on Flash so will work on older Android but not iPhone/iPad or any Android that doesn't have Flash support.

Work is starting on a future HTML5 /tablet version that will work on iPads etc. 

Mark Willis

Initial impression is very good, One requirement is that tool tips are needed. When you hover the cursor over an icon it changes colour but I'd like to see some text appear telling me what the button is going to do before pressing. I'm also finding the screen is not being used to the full extent. I'm running at 1080p resolution and everything is stacked to the left leaving plenty of space on the right of the screen.

Natalie Rusk

Tooltips are on the desired features list, but may not appear until after the official 2.0 release (apparently they will take some time to implement). 

Chad Scherrer

Login worked fine - thank you!

I'm working to get a middle school computing club started, and I was getting a bit concerned because the district is very particular about installing anything on the machines. Being able to run this through a web browser will cut quite a bit of red tape!

If we have student guinea pigs, should they use the access code as well, or is there a way for me to tell the server to let them in based on their username?

Thanks,

Chad

Karen Brennan

Your students won't be able to access the site with their usernames. (I manually whitelisted your username.)